Once you have decided that buying a used car is the right move for you, it is important to take the time to do some research and make sure you approach the process right. There are many wonderful things about buying a used luxury car in Plano, from the price to the fact you will be getting a quality vehicle you will be able to rely on for many years to come.
However, it is important to note that buying a used luxury car is a little more time consuming than it would be if you were buying a brand new vehicle. There are a handful of things you should keep an eye out for and look for during the initial inspection with the used car dealer. By following the tips below, you will have a better chance of buying a car that is a good fit for your lifestyle, is within your budget, and won’t require a lot of work down the road. You will learn how to check out a used luxury vehicle like a mechanic, which will enable you to find the best used car for you.
Before you even ask to take the car for a spin (or two), you should keep an eye for these important things:
- Take a good look at the tires. Ideally, each one will have at least a quarter of an inch of tread. Also check to make sure all the tires match in size and brand. If not, bring it up to the salesman.
- If you are checking out a vehicle that has wheels with spokes, be sure and look through the openings on the front wheels and check the disc brake rotors. If they are scored, this is something that should be brought to the attention of the salesperson assisting you.
- Check for fluid leaks when the engine is off and again when the car is running.
- Check for body repairs on the car by kneeling down at the front ends of the car and looking down along its side for ripples.
- Open and close all the doors and trunk to see if they operate smoothly or have any little quirks.
- From both the inside and out, lock and unlock all the doors.
- Have someone else sit behind the wheel of the car and operate the headlights, brakelights, and turn signals while you observe and make sure they are all working properly.
- While the engine is running, open the hood and listen for any strange sounds, such as knocks, ticks, or hisses.
- Look the car over (specifically the door edges and hinges) for any rust.
- Slide in behind the steering wheel and make sure all the controls work properly. This includes the air conditioning, heater, CD player, and so on.
These 10 tips are a great place to start when shopping for a used luxury car. They can all be performed while you are looking at the car for the first time, and should be done before you ask to take it for a test drive. If you have any questions about the information above or would like to come check out our inventory, give us a call today!